What to do in case of domestic violence?
What to do?
In the case of domestic violence, there are several things you can do to end the violence. However, domestic violence not only affects women and children in violent relationships and they are not the only ones who can take action. Below, therefore, advice and options,

• If you experience domestic violence yourself
• If you observe / see domestic violence
• If you exercise domestic violence yourself

If you yourself experience domestic violence
Women who are in a violent relationship but have not yet decided to get rid of their partner for good may turn to a women’s counseling center for advice and advice on separation.

In Elmshorn you can get advice at the women’s meeting:
0 41 21 – 66 28
(For further women’s counseling centers in SH see links)
In the event of a separation, they can also seek advice on the legal options they have to protect themselves against further acts of violence.
(link: Violence Protection Act)
For crisis situations, it is possible to call the helpline Violence against women 08000 116 016.

Women who have decided to split up and can go to a women’s shelter to receive protection and support.

If you see / observe domestic violence
No one has the right to humiliate, beat or rape another – whether that happens to strangers on the street or in the family.

Violence is not a private matter – but a crime!

Violence affects us all!

People who observe or hear something should “look” d. H. take a clear and unambiguous stance, namely that what happens is wrong. Especially women who are subjected to violence regularly and over a longer period often feel worthless and powerless. If they are met with respect and friendliness, this can be helpful for them.

People who experience domestic violence (eg in the neighborhood), should make clear to what extent they want to help themselves or inform themselves about possible counseling services. (eg women’s counseling centers) There they can seek advice or call the woman concerned.

When contacting the woman, first ask her what kind of help she wants. So that the affected woman can decide for herself, which is the right way for her. She can also seek advice, even if she does not want to be separated from the violent partner.

If the person does not want help, it has to be respected, and then they can be encouraged to turn to support later.
Especially if the woman has experienced violence on a regular basis over a long period, it is difficult for her to accept help, sometimes out of shame, but sometimes because she is afraid of the consequences, d. H. before further escalation.

Only the woman herself can judge what is right for her and when she wants to seek support.
to get help
People who hear or see someone getting violent should call the police immediately.
They should take care that they do not put themselves in danger, d. H. directly address other people and ask for help.
They can make themselves available as witnesses.

If you exercise domestic violence yourself
Men who exercise violence themselves; must gain an insight and a sense of wrongness about how they have harmed and injured the affected woman (as well as the children) and take responsibility for it.
They must be prepared to reflect on their own behavior and to find ways to enable them to resolve conflicts without conflict or to find a constructive way of dealing with their aggressive interests.
If the perpetrators have opted for this path, they should seek professional help because this process can not be tackled on their own.
This is possible in the form of a therapy or counseling centers offering offender work or perpetrator programs.

In Elmshorn the “Brücke” offers anti-violence programs: Tel. 04121/29 10 7820